Swimmer Competency and Eligibility
- Swimmer must be safe in the water & comfortable in deep water
- Swimmer must be able to swim 25m continuously
- Interest in competitive swimming is desirable
- Able to follow the coaches instructions during practice and at swim meets
All swimmers ability will be assessed through a formal evaluation during the first week(s) of the start of the season. If ability to swim or safety is questionable, the Coaching Staff/Swordfish Board will make the final decision as to whether a swimmer will remain in the club. Meeting outlined eligibility standards and following the pool rules are essential for the safety of the swimmer as well as Swordfish teammates.
ASSA Eligibility - as a member of Alberta Summer Swimming Association (ASSA), Swordfish Swim club conforms to all ASSA swimmer eligibility rules. In general swimmers cannot participate in any non-competitive or competitive swim instruction (excluding Red Cross, Canadian Lifesaving programs) between the months of Sept 1 - April 30. Please refer to the following link with the full swimmer eligibility rules on the ASSA website Rule & Regulations Section 2 (ASSA Swimmer Eligibility). Please forward any eligibility questions to our registrar for clarification.
Allowable Programs 2.5 ASSA Off-season Training and Competing Allowances
- Participation in training sessions and/or competitions with Alberta High School Swim Team,
- Participation in the following nationally recognized learn-to-swim programs:
- I Can Swim - All programs except “Stage 4 - I can SWIM FAST”
- Red Cross Swim and AquaSquirts
- Royal Life Saving Society and Junior Lifeguard Club
- YMCA learn to swim programs.
- Participation in the following aquatic sports, provided the individual was.is a registered member of the respective Provincial Sport organization (Alberta examples listed):
- Water Polo - Registered with: Alberta Water Polo Association
- Synchronized Swimming - Registered with: Synchro Alberta
- Triathlon - Registered with: Alberta Triathlon Association
- Diving - Registered with: Alberta Diving
- Competitive Lifesaving - Registered with: Royal Life Saving Society
Not-Allowable The following programs are NOT allowed. If your swimmer participates in these types of programs between September 1st - April 30 of the current summer season they are ineligible to compete.
- Winter Club - defined as year-round swimming (ie. Dinos, Cascades, Nose Creek, Patriots, Calgary Winter Club, Killarney)
- Non-Competitive Swim Clubs (ie Nose Creek, YMCA, Barracuda's) - any year-round swim program including non-competitive are not allowed.